Sunday, September 19, 2021

Another Toast for Kailey and Matt

Kailey and Matt's Recommitment
Kailey and Matt
First, I would like to welcome our extended families and friends. We are all so grateful to you for joining us for these happy festivities!  Thank you all for being a part of this special day and helping Matt and Kailey commemorate and celebrate their wedding and anniversary.  I’d like to say thank you to the Winklers.  Mike and Kathy, you have been so gracious and generous with our family, and the happy couple that thank you just doesn’t seem sufficient, nevertheless, thank you! 

A year ago, your immediate families gathered to wish the two of you the best for a long and happy life together.  Today, at long last, we all (your family and friends) gather to celebrate your re-commitment and the anniversary of that happy day.

At the risk of repeating myself, I told you then how you captured my heart on the day I met you (and joked about the fact that I am the person you are least likely to call to come bail you out of jail).  I told you how thankful I was to see you find this wonderful guy Matt and embark on your life’s journey together, and I welcomed Matt to our family.

I told you that the key to a great marriage requires just one ingredient: mutual respect.  Nothing I have seen in the last year has changed my mind about any of those things.  Seeing your relationship grow since last September has made this father’s heart sing...but don't worry, as long as I draw breath, I will always have more advice... 

Be always true to each other; share your joys and burdens; laugh and love much; be each other's best friend. Speak well of one another, even in private. And when things aren’t going well, remember to forgive as often as it is required. Married life is an adventure, and even though your adventure started a year ago, every day is a new chance for you both to connect and re-commit. A good marriage is a contest of generosity. 

So today, as your friends and family surround you, and every day going forward, remember your promises, keep them with all your heart, and you will have that sense of joy and wonder that exceeds all you have known. With all my heart, I offer you my congratulations and warmest wishes as you begin the latest adventure life has to offer.

Now if everyone will join me and raise your glasses to toast Kailey and Matt Winkler’s first anniversary and recommitment…

Cheers to the bride and groom!

No comments: